The Town of Georgina 2013-2017 Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
Learn More About Accessibility
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) is a provincial legislation to ensure that all Ontarians with disabilities have full and equal access to goods, services, facilities, accommodations, employment, building structures and premises by January 1, 2025.
Under the AODA, the government will develop and implement standards that will identify, remove and prevent barriers for people with disabilities. The legislation will require both public and private sectors to adhere to Accessibility Standards in five (5) important areas of our lives;
- Customer Service
- Information and Communication
- Built Environment
All policies, procedures and practices developed from the standard must be consistent with the AODA's principles:
- Equal Opportunity
Currently, the Customer Service Standard is the only AODA standard to become law.
Accessibility Standards for Customer Service
The Town of Georgina shall make reasonable efforts to ensure that its policies. procedures and practices as amended from time to time are consistent with the following principles:
- The goods or services will be provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- The provision of goods or services to persons with disabilities and others must be integrated unless an alternate measure is necessary, whether temporarily or on a permanent basis, to enable a person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from the goods or services.
- Persons with disabilities must be given an opportunity equal to that given to others to obtain, use and benefit from the goods or services.
The Town of Georgina permits persons with disabilities to use and keep with them their own personal assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from the goods or services offered by the Town of Georgina.
Accessibility Standard for Customer Service PolicyThe policy includes information on the following:
- Providing goods and services to people with disabilities
- Use of service animals, support persons and assistive devices
- Notice of service disruption
- Staff training on accessible customer service
- Feedback process
- Notice of availability of documents
- Format of documents
- link to Accessibility Standard for Customer Service Policy
Accessibly Customer Service Training
Town of Georgina employees, contractors, vendors and volunteers are required to complete training which includes:
The purpose of the Act;
- How to interact with people with various disabilities
- How to interact with people who may use an assistive device or the assistance of a support person, guide dog or other
service animal to access goods and/or services at the Town
- How to use assistive devices available on the premises
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing services
- Details of the Town of Georgina?s accessibility policy, procedures and practices
Training required for the Town of Georgina?s suppliers of goods and services: The legislation states that contractors, vendors and individuals that the Town of Georgina has contracted to provide goods or services must ensure that their employees are trained on providing accessible customer service. Training can be as simple as reading through the "Accessible Customer Service Training Booklet".
Notice of Service Disruption
Notice of Service Disruption shall be provided when facilities or services that people with disabilities usually use to access Town of Georgina goods or services are temporarily unavailable or if the goods or services are expected in the near future to be temporarily unavailable, in whole or in part. Notice may be given by posting information in a conspicuous place on the premises, on the Town?s website or any other such method as is reasonable in the circumstances.
The Town of Georgina welcomes comments on the provision of goods or services to persons with disabilities. It helps identify areas where changes need to be considered and ways in which we can improve the delivery of accessible goods and services. Feedback can be provided online, by telephone, e-mail, in person or in writing.Click Here to Access Online Feedback Form
Telephone: (905)476-4301, (905)722-6516 or (705)437-2210 ext. 248
In person or in writing:
Town of Georgina,
26557 Civic Centre Road,
Keswick, Ontario L4P 3G1
Additional InformationFor information on the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act please visit the Ontario eLaws website
For information on how to comply with the standards you can visit the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario's website
- Accessibility Booklet
- Guide to Design of Public Spaces Accessibility Standard
- Online Feedback Form
- Accessibility Features of This Website
For committee information, please contact Michele Vandentillaart, Committee Secretary at (905) 476-4301, (905) 722-6516 or (705) 437-2210 Ext. 248 or via email email@example.com.