Town of Georgina Vote 2010
2010 Municipal Election
Monday, October 25, 2010
- Voter Information
Qualifications of Electors
A person is entitled to vote in the upcoming Municipal Elections, if, on Voting Day (October 25th, 2010), he/she is:
- is a Canadian citizen;
- is at least 18 years old;
- resides in the Town of Georgina; or
- is the owner or tenant of land in the Town of Georgina, or the spouse of such owner or tenant of land
- is not prohibited from voting under this or any other Act
Disqualifications of Electors
The following are not entitled to be an elector:
- a person serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institute or a person serving a sentence on weekends;
- a corporation;
- a person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy; or
- a person who was convicted of the corrupt practice, if voting day in the current election is less than 4 years after voting day in the election in respect of which he/she was convicted.
For additional information, visit The Municipal Elections Act, 1996, Sections 17(2) and (3).
The Municipal Elections Act, 1996,
Section 52(1) now requires all electors to present the prescribed proof of identification showing the person's name, qualifying address and
signature before being issued a ballot at the poll, as shown on Schedule 1 of Ontario Regulation 500/09,
a copy of one of the following documents showing the person's name and signature as listed on Schedule 2 AND a copy of one of the following documents showing the person's name and qualifying address as listed on Schedule 3.
If your name appears on the Voters' List and you do not have acceptable identification, you will be required to take a sworn declaration Declaration of Identity - Form 9 at the voting place. If you refuse to swear the declaration you will not be issued a ballot.
|Note:||Only original or a certified or notarized copy of documents listed in Regulation 500/09 will be accepted as proof of identification. Photocopies of identification will not be acceptable.|
Voter Notification Card
You should bring your Voter Notification Card with you to the voting location as it will assist the election official in finding your name on the Voters' List. If you did not receive a Voter Notification Card, it is very likely that your name may not appear on the Voters' List. The Voter Notification Cards will be mailed out to all residents of Georgina at the beginning of October.
Is Your Name on the Voters' List?
The Voters' List contains the name, address and other relevant information of every qualified voter in the Town of Georgina as compiled by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). To check whether you are on the Voters' List, you may, starting September 1st, 2010:
- Visit the Town of Georgina Internet Voter Verification Page to verify if your name is on the list.
- Call the Clerk's Office (905) 476-4301, (905) 722-6516 or (705) 437-2210 extension 291 during regular office hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- Attend in person at the Clerk's Office, Town of Georgina Civic Centre, 26557 Civic Centre Road, RR 2 Keswick, during regular office hours
- Attend the circulation desk any of the Georgina Public Libraries to view a copy of the Voters' List
If Your Name is not on the Voter's List
An elector without identification AND who is on the Voters' List can take a Declaration of Identity (Form 9) at the poll. The elector is entitled to vote and a ballot will be given.
An elector without identification AND who is NOT on the voters' List cannot take the Declaration of Identity (Form 9). The elector is not entitled to vote AND a ballot will NOT be given.
- To add your name or change/update/remove your information on the Voters' List you must complete an "Application to Amend Voters' List", Form EL15 (Link).
You have the following options:
- You may download, complete and deliver the form in person to the Clerk's Department, 26557 Civic Centre Road, Keswick, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
- You may call the Clerk's Department at 905-476-4301 for a copy of the "Application to Amend Voter's List", complete and deliver the form in person to the Clerk's Department
- You may complete the form when you attend the Advance Vote or when you attend the poll to vote on October 25th, 2010 and do not forget to bring the required identification
- You may attend the Clerk's Department in person anytime between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday on or before October 25th, 2010 and do not forget to bring the required identification
Note: Applications must contain original signatures.
- To remove a name from the Voters' List you must complete the Application for Removal of Another's
Name from Voters' List, Form EL16. You have
the following options:
- You may download, complete and deliver the form in person, along with the required identification to the Clerk's Department, 26557 Civic Centre Road, Keswick, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 to Friday, September 10th, 2010, or
- You may attend the Clerk's Department in person anytime between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 to Friday, September 10th, 2010 and do not forget to bring the required identification.
Any qualified Georgina voter may appoint another qualified Georgina voter to vote on his/her behalf. The appointment of the voting proxy can only be made from Friday, September 10th, 2010 up to and including October 25th, 2010 during regular office hours and on any Advance Voting days from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m.
Under Section 44 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, a voter may act on behalf of one other qualified voter who is not a relative, OR on behalf of one or more qualified voters who are relatives. A relative means the parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister or spouse of the voter appointed. Separate Proxy Forms are required in the case where a voter is acting on behalf of more than one qualified voter who are relatives. If a voter is eligible to vote in more than one municipality, he/she can only vote as a proxy for one non-relative.To Appoint a Proxy
- Contact the Clerk's Department by calling 905-476-4301 to receive a Proxy Form by mail.
- You may pick up a Proxy Form by attending the Clerk's Department, 26557 Civic Centre Road, Keswick, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Complete the form and have the elector appointed as proxy attend in person with identification at the Clerk's Department 26557 Civic Centre Road, Keswick between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday to have the form certified by the Clerk or his/her designate.
- The appointment of voting proxies can only be made from Friday, September 10th, 2010 after 2:00 p.m. to October 25th, 2010
during regular business hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
On any advance voting day between the hours of 12:00 noon and 5:00 p.m.