On September 6th, 2017, Town Council passed By-law Number 2017-0093 (AD-7), authorizing an alteration of ward boundaries for the Town of Georgina affecting Wards 1, 2 and 3. Wards 4 and 5 boundaries were not affected.
The Town of Georgina Council is comprised of seven (7) members, including the Mayor and the Regional Councillor/Deputy Mayor, who are elected at-large, and five (5) local Ward Councillors.
The Ward Boundary Review was developed in accordance with the following principles:
- Representation by Population – Ensure that every Councillor generally represents an equal number of constituents while allowing for some variation;
- Representation of Communities of Interest – Ward boundary lines should have regard for recognized settlement areas, traditional neighbourhoods and community groupings;
- Recognition of Future Growth – Consider future changes in population to keep wards as balanced as possible;
- Representation of Physical Features as Natural Boundaries – Wards should be coherent and contiguous in shape and use major natural and man-made features as boundaries, where possible;
- Effective Representation – Recognize the overarching principle of “effective representation” to ensure that residents have an effective voice in decision-making; and
- Electorate Distribution – Equal and equitable representation by eligible electors across the wards.