Doing business in GeorginaConnect with us. We are here to help businesses start-up, scale and pivot. When you connect, we will listen, lend advice and direct you to the necessary department or community partners you'll need to succeed.
Economic recovery support programs
When the pandemic hit, the Town of Georgina acted quickly to find ways to support businesses and organizations. To do this, the Economic Development and Tourism office connected with more than 216 of them, providing guidance to support programs announced by the federal and provincial governments. From these conversations, our office was able to strategize and develop municipal-level support that would have the most impact on the community.
Town of Georgina Economic Recovery measures:
- The Georgina Emergency Response Benefit (GERB) grants eligible businesses who have seen a 30 per cent reduction in revenue up to $7,500 and will be administered through South Lake Community Futures. Funding has been dispersed to successful applications of the program.
- Property tax and water bill deferral for 90 days.
- A grant of $10,000 for each of the three Business Improvement Areas (BIAs), Keswick, Sutton and Jackson’s Point, was approved to support their annual budgets for 2020. This will eliminate the annual fees that property owners contribute towards the activities undertaken by the BIAs.
- Temporary Patio Program assisted restaurants across the municipality with the move into Stage 2 of Ontario's reopening framework and will continue to support them until the end of 2021.
- COVID-19 Community Improvement Grant supports BIA businesses and their need to address implications of the COVID-19 pandemic and assist with Business Recovery efforts. Projects or upgrades implemented post March 19, 2020 during the Declarations of Emergency order will be reviewed.
- The COVID-19 Development Application Rebate Program provides additional assistance to the business community and assists with business recovery efforts during the pandemic by providing a rebate for building permit fees.
- Not-for-Profits and Charitable Organizations COVID-19 Grant Program provides additional assistance to not-for-profits and charitable organizations.
- Collaboration with the Georgina Chamber of Commerce on a Shop Local initiative which was launched in early June.
- The Town is working with Digital Main Street to bring ShopHERE powered by Google Canada to our local independent businesses and artists. Together we aim to help local businesses and artists launch their own online stores.
- The Pivot Planning Squad was established to meet with businesses one-on-one to provide business/marketing expertise and community connections to small businesses in Georgina as they continue to pivot operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The business reopening guidance and advice provided on York Region's website is from various government levels and third-party industry organizations to assist the business community within York Region. It is the responsibility of each business that is reopening to ensure they are following the guidelines of the Ontario Government to protect the health and safety of their employees and customers.
Visit yorklink.ca/covid19 for the latest government funding programs, business resources, webinars and more.
Economic Development Quick Links
- Industrial business park
- Community Profile
- Grants, incentives and rebates
- Commercial and industrial properties for sale
- Business and tourism blog
- Shop local campaign
Do you have business support questions? Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-476-4301.
Subscribe to our bi-weekly Economic Development and Tourism Newsletter.