Celebrating 200 Years of Community in Georgina (1818-2018)
Georgina is marking its 200th anniversary in 2018! All members of the community are invited to join together to recognize and celebrate this important milestone.
The present day boundaries of Georgina are made up of two former townships: North Gwillimbury to the West of Highway 48 (North/South) and Georgina to the East. The Village of Sutton (including Jackson’s Point) was incorporated by York County Council and first met as a separate entity in 1891.
The Township of Georgina was named and declared open for settlement on August 28 1818. The Gwillimburys (East, West, and North) were under order of survey in 1800, with patents issued after this date – though settlers were ‘squatting’ here before this time. North Gwillimbury Township and the Village of Sutton were amalgamated with Georgina Township in 1971. Georgina was granted Town status in 1986. In 2018 we recognize this milestone of 200 years, while not forgetting the nearly two decades of settlement that occurred in North Gwillimbury Township prior to this.
Events and Promotions
To celebrate our local milestone, staff and the Georgina 200 (G200) Planning Committee, comprised of representatives from local non-profit organizations, service clubs, the business community, media, the Town and members of the public, are undertaking a number of activities throughout the year including:
- Introducing a Georgina 200 logo designed for use by local organizations/groups planning an event. Contact the Chamber to receive a copy at 905-722-8383,
- Creating celebratory giveaways, including pens, hand flags, tattoos and other items for Georgina 200 eventgoers. Fill out a form here to get free items for your event.
- Updating local street banners to promote the milestone
- Launching an online event calendar on the Chamber of Commerce website, featuring events, programs, and initiatives taking place throughout 2018
- Cross-promoting festivities throughout the year by the Town and Planning Committee via social media, print, online and other means
The Town of Georgina will be hosting a combined Georgina 200/Canada Day Event on Sunday, July 1, 2018, to mark this special occasion. See the event details here.
The history of Georgina will be explored and celebrated throughout 2018. Articles on various topics will be added on a regular basis to educate and enlighten the public on Georgina's past.
MORE TO COME!