If you are planning on constructing a deck or porch, a Building Permit will be required for:
- All uncovered decks that are higher than 600mm (24”) above adjacent ground level,
- All uncovered decks where any part of the perimeter of the deck is higher than 600mm (24”) above adjacent ground level,
- All uncovered decks where the adjacent ground drops away at more than a 2:1 ratio,
- All decks partially or completely covered with a roof regardless of height, such as a porch.
Even where a building permit is not required by the Town, the structure must still comply with the Zoning By-law and be constructed in accordance with the Ontario Building Code.
Make sure you can build the deck or porch you want by consulting:
- Town of Georgina, Zoning By-law
- Town of Georgina, Septic System Approvals: If your property is serviced by a septic system, your deck or porch must be located away from your septic. Please contact the Building Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the location of your septic system.
- Town of Georgina, Site Alteration Permit: Contact the Development Engineering Division by email at email@example.com for information regarding a Site Alteration Permit if you are building your deck or porch on a conventional foundation. This ensures that the grading and drainage of your property will not negatively affect a neighbouring property. This approval will be needed before building permit issuance. Note: Decks and porches constructed on pier foundations (such as “sonotubes”) will not require a Site Alteration Permit.
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority: Approval from the LSRCA is needed if you are constructing in their regulated area. LSRCA regulations may restrict construction. Consult LSRCA's mapping tool to see if your property is regulated.
- Other approvals (where regulated)
Design is the next step. You will need a set of construction drawings to submit to the Building Division for review before a permit can be issued and construction can begin.
- Must be prepared by a competent designer
- Must be drawn to scale and accurately and neatly drawn
- May be made by the owner if the owner takes responsibility for the design (Note: all designers must demonstrate a level of design competency)
- May require a designer with specific credentials (e.g. P.Eng.) for complicated or specialized designs
Drawing Package Information
- A Site Plan, showing lot dimensions, north arrow, the road, any watercourses, all buildings, building sizes, dimensions of the proposed deck or porch with stairs marked, plus setbacks to property lines. Note: A survey is a great starting point for a site plan as it will already have most of this information
- Birds-eye view overhead drawing, dimensioned, showing locations of posts and piers with spans clearly marked; size, direction and spacing of beams and joists, and stair location
- An elevation drawing, showing the height of the deck surface above grade, railing/guard information including height and picket spacing, attachment to the house information including the existing house foundation, ie. strip footing/slab on grade/basement
- Roof plans, for porch construction, showing size and spacing of rafters, attachment to the house, beam size, post size and spacing, etc.
- Additional information where necessary to accurately show proposed work
- DO ensure that your pre-manufactured guard/handrail system complies with all structural requirements of the building code. Contact the Building Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not sure
- DO ensure that any ledger boards that are attached to the house are positively connected to the framing. The inspector will need to verify this visually
- DO ensure all wood exposed to the weather is pressure treat for that use
- DO NOT bury wood columns in concrete piers or in the ground. Wood columns should be pressure treated and attached to a concrete pier foundation with an approved saddle
- DO NOT construct your deck on “deck blocks”. There are some exceptions; contact the Building Division by email at email@example.com for more information
Building Permit Application Requirements
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, including Schedule 1 - Designer Information
- 2 copies of a detailed Site Plan
- 2 sets of all construction drawings to scale and dimensioned
- Letter of Authorization signed by owner, required only when the applicant is not the owner
- Permit Fee:
- $324 flat rate for each deck and covered porch (with no walls) greater than 107ft2,
- $1.38/ ft2 for each deck and covered porch (with no walls) less than 108ft2.
Contact the Building Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information or to clarify anything regarding construction of a building.