Building permits are required for most accessory buildings including garden sheds, garages, gazebos, etc. that:
- Contain plumbing,
- Exceed 10m2(107ft2) in area, or
- Are attached to another structure with a combined area that exceeds 10m2
A tent garage under 60m2 (645 ft2) which is not attached to another building does not require a building permit provided it is at least 3.0 metres from another structure. Any accessory buildings that do not require a permit are still required to comply with the Town’s zoning by-laws and other applicable laws.
Make sure you can build the garage, shed or gazebo you want by consulting:
- Town of Georgina, Zoning By-law:
- Please email email@example.com for Zoning By-law information to determine whether your accessory building can be placed where you want it; within the minimum setback distances to property lines, maximum lot coverage and other zoning restrictions. Accessory buildings are not permitted on residential lots where there is no main-use building (house).
- Town of Georgina, Septic System Approvals:
- If your property is serviced by a septic system, your accessory structure must be located away from your septic. Please contact the Building Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the location of your septic system.
- Town of Georgina, Site Alteration Permit
- Contact the Development Engineering Division by email at email@example.com for information regarding a Site Alteration Permit. This ensures that the grading and drainage of your property will not negatively affect a neighbouring property. This approval will be needed before building permit issuance.
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority:
- Approval from the LSRCA is needed if you are constructing in their regulated area. LSRCA regulations may restrict construction. Consult LSRCA’s mapping tool to see if your property is regulated.
- Infrastructure & Operations Department:
- Contact the Operations Division for information regarding an Entrance Permit, if you are moving or adding a driveway if your property fronts onto a Town Road
- Region of York
- If you are moving or adding a driveway, obtain an Entrance (Road Use) permit from the Region for driveway access for properties on Regional Roads
- Other approvals (where regulated)
Design is the next step. You will need a set of construction drawings to submit to the Building Division for review before a permit can be issued and construction can begin.
- Design drawings
- Must be prepared by a competent designer
- Must be drawn to scale and accurately and neatly drawn
- May be made by the owner if the owner takes responsibility for the design (Note: all designers must demonstrate a level of design competency)
- May require a designer with specific credentials (ie. P.Eng.) for complicated or specialized designs
- The drawing package will include:
- Site Plans (showing lot dimensions, north arrow, the road, any watercourses, all buildings, building sizes, dimensions of the proposed building(s), plus setbacks to property lines of all existing and proposed buildings) Note: A survey is a great starting point for a site plan as it will already have most of this information.
- Foundation plans (The design must be prepared by a professional engineer if proposing a slab foundation over 55m2 (592 ft2), if over 55m2 and supporting masonry or if supporting more than one story).
- Floor plan showing window and door openings with header sizes
- Cross section of construction from the foundation to the roof
- Roof framing plans (or Truss drawings with layout and P.Eng seal, where proposed)
- Additional information where necessary to accurately show proposed work
When applying for a building permit we require:
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, including Schedule 1 - Designer Information
- 2 copies of a detailed Site Plan
- 2 sets of all construction drawings to scale and dimensioned
- Letter of Authorization signed by owner, required only when the applicant is not the owner
- Permit Fee $311 flat rate for each building
Contact the Building Division by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information or to clarify anything regarding construction of a building.
Make sure you've got it all with our Garage and Accessory Buildings Checklist.