House Additions and Renovations

You are here

Whether you are an experienced builder or a homeowner who wants to build a new addition or renovate the interior, the information below will help you during the permit application process.

Renovations and Alterations that involve changes to the layout, structure or systems of your home requires a permit.


Make sure you can build the addition you want by consulting:

  • Town of Georgina Zoning By-law:
    • How to use the Zoning By-law
    • Please email for Zoning By-law information to determine whether your addition can be placed where you want it; within the minimum setback distances to property lines, maximum lot coverage and other zoning restrictions.  
  • Town of Georgina, Septic System Approvals:
    • If the property does not have municipal sewers, your existing septic system may not be sized correctly for additional bedrooms, plumbing or floor area. Please speak to a septic system designer by email or begin with information from the Building Division.
  • Contact the Development Engineering Division by email for information regarding a Site Alteration Permit. This ensures that the grading and drainage of your property will not negatively affect a neighbouring property. This approval will be needed before building permit issuance.
  • Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority:
    • Approval from the LSRCA is needed if you are constructing in their regulated area. LSRCA regulations may restrict construction. Consult LSRCA’s mapping tool to see if your property is regulated.
  • Infrastructure and Operations Department:
    • Contact the Operations Division for information regarding:
      • An Entrance Permit, if you are moving or adding a driveway if your property fronts onto a Town Road
      • A Permit to Connect, which is issued when you connect or reconnect to Municipal Water and Sewers
  • York Region
  • If you are moving or adding a driveway, obtain an Entrance (Road Use) permit from the Region for driveway access for properties on Regional Roads
  • Ministry of EnvironmentMinistry of Transportation (for properties on Highway 48), etc.
  • Other approvals (where regulated)


Design is the next step. You will need a set of construction drawings to submit to the Building Division for review before a permit can be issued and construction can begin.

  • Design drawings
    • Must be prepared by a competent designer
    • Must be drawn to scale and accurately and neatly drawn
    • May be made by the owner if the owner takes responsibility for the design (Note: all designers must demonstrate a level of design competency)
    • May require a designer with specific credentials (ie. P.Eng.) for complicated or specialized designs
  • The drawing package will include:
    • Site Plans (showing lot dimensions, north arrow, the road, any watercourses, all buildings, building sizes, proposed addition dimensions, setbacks to property lines of all existing and proposed buildings, driveway dimensions)
    • Foundation plans (new, or to show that the existing foundation can support a second-story addition)
    • Floor plans of existing and proposed floor areas
    • Cross sections of wall construction
    • Elevations
    • Roof framing plans (or Truss drawings with layout and P.Eng seal, where proposed)
    • Heat Loss design from a suitably qualified designer (for additional floor area increased by 15% or more)
    • Manufacturer’s layout of any proposed engineered floor, roof or wall systems, as well as specifications for laminated beams or other engineered products.
    • Additional information where necessary to accurately show proposed work

When applying for a building permit, we require:

Contact the Building Division by email to request more information or to clarify anything regarding construction of a building.
Make sure you've got it all with our Renovation and Alteration Checklist.