The following information is a guideline to provide general direction to the building permit process for industrial, commercial, institutional and multi-residential uses. It is not a complete list of all requirements. You are directed to governing documents such as the Ontario Building Code, the Town’s Zoning By-law and other applicable laws that regulate development, construction and uses.
Considering the following items will help streamline the process:
To prepare your design and permit application, consult the following:
- Town of Georgina, Zoning By-law:
- Applicable Law and other Approvals
- Approvals from the Operation and Engineering Department and external agencies will likely be required before the Building Division can issue a building permit. That includes, but is not limited to:
- Development Engineering Division - Site plan approval
- Operations Division - Entrance (road access) permit
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA)
- Ministry of Transportation (MTO)
- Other Approvals – MOE, Heritage, etc (where applicable)
Prior to applying for a permit you are required to obtain the services of a designer who is familiar with the requirements of Ontario Building Code, with respect to the proposed project.
The Building Code requires that the person(s) who prepares designs and documents have certain qualifications.
All ICI permit documents and design drawings:
- Must be prepared by a competent designer
- Must, in certain instances, be designed by an architect, professional engineer or both
Additional costs to consider:
Your project will likely to subject to additional Development Charges, also known as DC's, and park levies. Please review the Development Charges page for summaries of Town, Region and education board DC's.
When applying for a building permit we require:
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, including Schedule 1 - Designer Information
- Sufficient design drawings, specifications and supporting documents, including:
- 2 copies of detailed site plan
- 2 copies of detailed site servicing drawings
- 2 copies of all architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical construction drawings and specifications
- Letter of Authorization signed by owner, required only when the applicant is not the owner
- Permit fees - fees vary depending on use, type of building, etc. Refer to the Town’s Building By-law for precise information or contact the Building Division. Due at time of permit application submission
- Development charge fees (calculated and due at time of permit issuance)
Make sure you've got it all by using our Checklists