New Houses

Whether you are an experienced builder or an owner who wants to build your own new home, the information here will help prepare you to submit your permit application.


Make sure you can build the house you want by consulting:

  • Town of Georgina Zoning By-law:

    • How to use the Zoning By-law
    • Please email us for Zoning By-law information to determine whether a new house is permitted on the lot; the minimum setback distances to property lines, maximum lot coverage and other zoning restrictions. We can also provide information about Development Charges.
  • Town of Georgina Septic System Approvals:
    • If the property does not have municipal sewers, the house and an approved septic system must be designed to fit on the lot. Please speak to a septic system designer or begin with information from the Building Division
  • Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority:
    • Approval from the LSRCA is needed if you are constructing in their regulated area. LSRCA regulations may restrict construction. Consult LSRCA’s mapping tool to see if your property is regulated.
  • Contact the Development Engineering Division by email for information regarding a Site Alteration and Entrance Permit. This ensures that the grading and drainage of your property will not negatively affect a neighbouring property. This approval will be needed before building permit issuance.
    • An Entrance Permit, which will be needed for driveway access if your property fronts onto a Town Road.
    • A Permit to Connect, which is issued when you connect or reconnect to Municipal Water and Sewers
  • An Entrance (Road Use) permit is required from York Region for a driveway access for properties on Regional Roads
  • Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Transportation (for properties on Highway 48), etc.
  • Other approvals (where regulated)


Design is the next step. You will need a set of construction drawings to submit to the Building Division to review before a permit can be issued and construction can begin.

  • Design drawings

    • Must be prepared by a competent designer
    • Must be drawn to scale and accurately and neatly drawn
    • May be made by the owner if the owner takes responsibility for the design (Note: all designers must demonstrate a level of design competency)
    • May require a designer with specific credentials (ie. P.Eng.) for complicated or specialized designs
  • The drawing package will include:
    • Site Plans (showing lot dimensions, north arrow, the road, any watercourses, all buildings, building sizes, proposed construction dimensions, setbacks to property lines of all buildings, driveway dimensions)
    • Foundation plans
    • Floor plans
    • Cross sections of wall construction
    • Elevations
    • Roof framing plans (or Truss drawings with layout and P.Eng seal, where proposed)
    • Heat Loss design from a suitably qualified designer
    • Manufacturer’s layout of any proposed engineered floor, roof or wall systems, as well as specifications for laminated beams or other engineered products.
    • Additional information as deemed necessary to accurately show proposed work

Additional costs to consider:

Your new house will likely incur additional costs called Development Charges, also known as DC's, and park levies. Please review the Development Charges page for summaries of Town, Region and education board DC's.

When applying for a building permit we require:

Note: the above fees are provided for convenience only. See Building By-law for official fees schedule
Contact the Building Division for more information or to clarify anything regarding construction of a building.

Make sure you've got it all with our New Business and Additions Checklist 

Contact Us

26557 Civic Centre Rd,
Keswick, ON  L4P 3G1

T: 905-476-4301 / 705-437-2210
F: 905-476-8100

Hours of Operation

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.