The installation of plumbing is regulated by Part 7 of Ontario's Building Code and Town of Georgina Building By-law. Before any plumbing work starts, a permit must be obtained.
- A plumbing permit is required for all new installations of plumbing and the replacement of any part of an existing plumbing system
- Mechanical work on all buildings includes work on heating and ventilation systems, including bath vents and woodstoves
- No part of an installation may be covered until an inspection is done and approved by the inspector
What projects require a permit?
- The construction of plumbing in a new building
- The construction of new plumbing in an existing building
- The alteration of existing plumbing
- The repair or replacement of existing plumbing except for minor repairs of existing fixtures
- Installation or alteration of any part of a heating system that must be vented into a chimney
- Installation of a woodstove, fireplace insert, pellet stove and related chimney and venting
- Installation of bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans, dryer exhausts and other appliances that are required to be vented
Building permit application requirements