The Town of Georgina is always working to improve facilities and recreation amenities for our residents. In the fall of 2021, Town staff initiated the Pefferlaw Recreation Needs study to engage Ward 5 residents through two online survey opportunities and one in-person public consultation forum held in November 2021 at the Pefferlaw Lions Hall. As a result of these studies, several upgrades and installations are planned for 2023.
The new Sports Zone will be built on the Pefferlaw Ice Pad at 38 Pete’s Lane, in Pefferlaw. The Sports Zone will include:
- Colourful athletic tile flooring
- One outdoor basketball court, two dedicated pickleball courts, and one multipurpose court for pickleball or short-court tennis (Tennis 36 ft x 74 ft, not regulation, shorter by 4 ft in length)
- Facility divider curtains to allow uninterrupted play between courts
- Facility signage for the “Pefferlaw Ice Pad and Sports Zone.”
The Sports Zone will create new opportunities for outdoor, multi-purpose play in Pefferlaw by encouraging the use of an existing municipal facility during the spring, summer, and fall seasons. Sports Zone equipment will be removed by staff seasonally as a refrigerated ice pad and skating rink each winter.
The Town has been working with the Georgina-Brock Garden Club and the Pefferlaw Association of Ratepayers (PAR) since late 2022 to develop designs for a community garden in Pefferlaw. Barrier-free gardening was a consideration throughout the design to provide an opportunity for everyone to garden. The community garden will include a new limestone screening pedestrian pathway, at-grade garden plots, raised cedar garden beds of varying heights (18” and 30”) to accommodate those who have difficulty reaching and bending, a storage shed, a composter, an accessible picnic table/workbench, and two dwarf apple trees.
Timelines: April – May 2023 Construction
Pump Track and Skate Park
The Town intends to construct a new combined pump track and skate park in Pefferlaw Park. The proposed location for the pump track and skate park is generally between the Pefferlaw Ice Pad and the playground facilities. The Town will work with a design-builder and the community to ensure a range of skill-level features are incorporated into the design. The design will encourage users of all skill levels to use the facility, including those who are new to the sport. Pefferlaw Park is an ideal location for the pump track and skate park as it is centrally located in Pefferlaw, highly visible, and is frequently visited by youth. With limited recreation opportunities for youth in Pefferlaw, this new facility will serve as an exciting central hub for youth in the eastern limits of Georgina.
Youth engagement is a critical part of this project. The Town will be hosting community engagement workshops with a focus on soliciting youth input on the design of the pump track and skate park in Spring 2023 (dates to be determined).
Recreation Needs Study
2014 Recreation Needs Study
In 2014, Council adopted the Recreation Needs study produced by Monteith Brown Planning Consultants. The key study objectives included facility rationalization, needs assessment and feasibility analysis. More than 40 recommendations were identified in the study while following guiding principles for the Town of Georgina’s future decision-making.
- Build a healthy community and foster active lifestyles.
- Provide inclusive, affordable and accessible recreational opportunities for all Georgina residents.
- Ensure that recreation and park facilities are multi-use, multi-generational and responsive to true needs.
- Encourage design and practices that promote energy efficiency and “green” technologies.
- Foster and support partnerships that create synergies and leverage resources.
- Make decisions that are financially responsible and sustainable for the Town and its residents, both existing and future.
Current conditions - Pefferlaw Ice Pad
- October 31, 2023 – Completion of Work
- August - October – Construction
- April & May 2023 – Community Engagement Workshops
- March 2023 – Award of contract to the highest-ranked bidder
- December 16, 2023 - Release Request for Proposals for Design-Build Services
- Late April to May 2023 - The Sports Zone and facility flooring are scheduled to be installed once the skating season has finished.
- 2020 - Council directed staff to engage the Ward 5 community to study the public needs and wants for recreation facilities, programs and services specific to Ward 5.
- September 2021 - Council approved $1,446,750 in capital funding for recreation improvements in the Ward 5 area.
- October 2021 - Staff initiated the Pefferlaw Recreation Needs study to engage Ward 5 residents through two online survey opportunities and one in-person public consultation forum.
- November 2021 - in-person public consultation forum held at the Pefferlaw Lions Hall.
- April 27, 2022 - Council approved the recommendations presented by staff.
April 27, 2022 - Pefferlaw Recreation Need Study
April 27, 2022 - Online Survey and In Person Public Consultation Results
May 14, 2014 - Recreation facility needs study
May 14, 2014 - Facility needs study final report
May 14, 2014 - Recreation facility needs study presentation
April 28, 2022 - Town approves new outdoor amenities for Pefferlaw
Oct. 6, 2021 - Town launches survey for Pefferlaw Recreation Needs Assessment Study