The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) gives everyone a right to access most records held by government organizations and to protect the privacy of individuals with respect to their information held by government organizations.
What is a Record?
A record is any record of information however recorded, whether in printed form, on film, by electronic means or otherwise, and includes correspondence, a memorandum, a book, a plan, a map, a drawing, a diagram, a pictorial or graphic work, a photograph, a film, a microfilm, a sound recording, a videotape, a machine readable record, any other documentary material, regardless of physical form or characteristics, and any copy thereof as well as any record that is capable of being produced from a machine readable record under the control of an institution by means of computer hardware and software.
How do I make an FOI request?
To request records under the MFIPPA, follow these steps:
- Complete the , or write a letter stating that you are requesting information under the Act. Requesters should provide as much detail as they can about the records sought.
- E-mail the completed request form to the Town Clerk at email@example.com or mail a letter to the Office of the Town Clerk. Please note: A $5 application fee must accompany your request, payable to "The Town of Georgina. Send the completed request form and payment to:
The Office of the Clerk
Town of Georgina
26557 Civic Centre Road
Keswick, ON L4P 3G1
Usually, a request is processed within 30 calendar days. This means that the Town must either provide access to the requested record or notify the individual that the information is exempt under the specific provisions of the Act. If the Town requires a time extension for any reason, then the requestor must be notified.
When an FOI request requires time to assemble the records for the request, the Act provides for the application of fees in addition to the $5.00 application fee.
- All cheques must be made payable to The Town of Georgina.
- If the cost to prepare a request is over $25.00 the requestor may be given a fee estimate before completing the request.
Record Preparation Charges
|A charge may be applied for every fifteen (15) minutes of manual search time needed to locate a record and/or the time involved in physically severing exempt material in preparation for disclosure||$7.50 / 15 minutes / person|
|Photocopying Charges||$0.20 / page|
|Shipping Costs||Shipping charges such as postage or courier can be applied.|
How to correct information held about you
Where the Town collects personal information about individuals, the Act provides that individuals have the right to correct their own personal information if it is in error. This applies only to personal information to which the requestor has been given access. After access has been granted to personal information, the individual has the right to request:
- correction of personal information;
- a statement of disagreement be attached to the record;
- notification of correction or disagreement be sent to those whom his/her personal information was disclosed within the previous year
The right of correction applies only to personal information to which an individual is provided access.
Again, requestors must complete a Request Form and remit a $5.00 payment.
The Town decides whether the correction will be made. Once it has been decided whether or not the information is to be corrected, the Office of the Clerk notifies the requestor.
These decisions may be appealed to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
For more information, visit the Ontario Information and Privacy Commission.