Water bills are issued quarterly or residential properties and monthly for commercial properties. Water in Georgina is metered and your bill is based on water consumption as registered on your water meter. The water rate is $2.64 per cubic metre, the sewer rate is $2.80 per cubic metre and the capital cost recovery charge is $18.84. No allowance is made for water used outdoors for pools, watering, washing etc.
Water payments can be made in several convenient ways:
- In person by cash, cheque or debit (at the Georgina Civic Centre)
- Telephone or online banking (the billing company is Georgina Water)
- Post-dated cheque
- Drop box at main door of the Civic Centre (by cheque only)
Please ensure you are using the 12-digit water account number located in the top left section of your water and sewer bill for payment. Payments must be received at the Civic Centre on or before the due date to avoid losing the early payment discount.
Ways to check for leaks with analog meters:
- Check the small flow indicator (a small red triangular/wedge-shaped indicator) on the left side of the water meter.
- If it is moving, however slightly, and no one is using any water, there is a leak within your home.
- Shine a flashlight over the light sensor to activate the LCD display.
- If you have a leak, a faucet will display on the upper left side of the LCD display.
- If the faucet is flashing it indicates water usage for more than 50 per cent of the time during a 24-hour period.
- If the faucet is on, it indicates water usage at least once every 15 minutes during a 24-hour period. There is most likely a leak at your property.
- Check taps, toilets, faucets, pipes, hoses, water softeners, water filters, humidifiers and sprinkler systems for possible leaks. Any type of malfunction with your water softeners, humidifiers, irrigation system or air conditioning systems could be very costly.
- Put food colouring in your toilet tank and if it seeps in the toilet bowl without flushing there is a leak.
- Check your water filter system. These units can automatically go on self-clean mode, consuming thousands of litres of water daily.
You will be able to see on your water bill that an estimated read has been made. You can email a photo of the reading on your water meter to firstname.lastname@example.org and a customer service associate will contact you in regards to your water account. Should you receive a second estimated bill, a work order will be created for you to have your water meter inspected.
When you close/open your seasonal property, contact the Town at 905-476-4301 or email@example.com to have your water turned on/off. This will give your meter a reading of 0 while the property is not being used.
As the property owner, you have the responsibility to ensure your water meter does not freeze during the winter months. Insulation of the meter and surrounding pipes is the responsibility of the home owner. Should Neptune need to replace a frozen meter, the resident will be charged $450 for the replacement meter.
A stopped meter is when your water meter is no longer registering water consumption. This meter needs to be replaced as soon as possible at no additional expense to the home owner.
Yes. The water meter replacements will be made to old meters. They have reached the end of their lifecycle and mandatory replacement is required. The Town is working with Neptune Technology Group to complete the replacements and these staff will be carrying photo ID badges.
The Town is only replacing water meters that are older than 10 years. Your neighbour might have had their water meter already replaced due to a service and/or maintenance call.
Yes. The water meter is located inside your home and usually found in the basement. The installer will need to have direct access to the meter so it can be replaced.
No. There is no cost to the property owner for the water meter replacement.
No. The Town of Georgina has approved Neptune Technology group as the contractor to supply and install the water meters.
Provide a clear and unobstructed access to the water meter. Any boxes or stored items must be cleared prior to your appointment. A responsible adult (18 years old or older) must be at the residence for the full duration of the water meter replacement appointment.
It is the homeowner’s responsibility to make any necessary repairs for Neptune to have access and replace the water meter.
The water meter accurately records your water consumption. If your old water meter was under registering the amount of water used, you might see an increase in your consumption. Otherwise your consumption should be normal.
The appointment will take approximately 30 to 60 minutes to complete.
Contact the Town at 905-476-3401 or firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks prior to your home closing to arrange for a final water meter reading. There is a $30 fee to the owner/tenant to have the meter read. You will also need to provide a forwarding address we can send your final water/sewer bill to. If you are a landlord and your tenant pays the water bill, be aware that the owner of the property is responsible for the water account. Any unpaid water arrears are transferred to the owners tax account after each bill. Copies of the tenant water bills and reminder notices are sent to the owner for reference.