Building and Renovating

Building Division services are available online, by phone at 905-476-4301, ext. 3007 and by email.

Check out our online application portal to apply for a permit. Visit our building inspections webpage for information on site inspections.

Apply online

Building permits

If you are planning to

  • Construct or demolish a new building, addition or deck
  • Install a pool
  • Renovate/alter an existing building

You will need to obtain a permit before you start. Our dedicated Building Permits page provides more information about applying for permits. Our online building permits portal is open for applications.

Application requirements

We cannot approve incomplete applications, please refer to the list of application requirements below.  In addition, please be advised, Zoning Bylaw review and approval is required as a part of all building permit applications.  Submitting an incomplete application will result in longer review times.

  • A completed Permit Application form
  • All required forms related to the type of work/permit
  • Payment of permit fees (see Schedule A of Building Bylaw 2021-0019)
  • Digital copy of a detailed site plan, including all buildings and setbacks to lot lines (if only paper copies are
    available contact for information)
  • Digital copy of construction drawings including all construction information (if only paper copies are
    available contact for information)

Requirements for an application

Other approvals and drawings may be required prior to issuance of your Building Permit including but not limited to:

Having difficulties determining which permits you need? Contact the Building Division by email or phone 905-476-4301, ext. 3007.

Climate data

Climate data

The Building Services Division provides climate data for developers or builders interested in the information.

Frequently asked questions

Can I do my own drawings?

Owners of houses with one tor two dwelling units may design and take responsibility for their own drawings. However, a level of design competency and an understanding of construction is required. If you feel overwhelmed, you would be well advised to hire a designer with the appropriate credentials. All designers must be registered by Ontario's Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Ask your designer for their Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) to ensure they are qualified.

Can my contractor or designer apply for the building permit on my behalf?

You can have either the contractor or designer apply on your behalf if you fill out a Letter of Authorization. Although the contractor or designer is acting on your behalf, you are responsible to ensure inspections are scheduled and work is passed by the inspector. Ultimately, under Ontario's Building Code, the owner is responsible for all construction on their property.

What inspections are required?

Each project is given a cover sheet explaining which inspections are required and when to call for an inspection. The sheet also describes how and when to request the inspection.

How do I find out what agencies to apply to for my proposed building project?

There may be external agencies that are applicable law such as Lake Simcoe Regional Conservation, Ministry of the Environment, etc. If your property is along the lake or close to a water body, it is likely to be regulated by Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority. Drop by to the Building Division service counter or call us at 905-476-4301 ext. 3007 and discuss your proposal with our staff. They will be pleased to answer your questions.

I am moving to a new house and wish to do some renovations and/or an addition; can I apply for my building permit before taking ownership?

You need an authorization letter from the current owner of the house prior to applying for a building permit.  If you have bought a house that is in mid project from the previous owner, you must apply for a Transfer of Permit. You can also submit for the permit, have all approval and zoning in place, then apply for the final Building Permit once you own the property.

How long is my permit good for?

If, after 6 months, construction has not yet commenced, your permit may be revoked as per section 8 of the Building Code Act. If you find you cannot start the project within the 6 months, you can write to the Chief Building Official for an extension on the permit.

Why have I not been informed that my neighbour applied for a building permit?

Ontario’s Building Code Act and municipal Zoning Bylaws allow construction to be carried out in accordance with Ontario's Building Code and applicable law. This is not a public process where neighbours would be notified. Where the proposed construction would not comply with Zoning Bylaw, an application to the Committee of Adjustment for a Minor Variance to the zoning requirements may allow the applicant some relief. This is a public process where neighbours within 60 meters would be notified.

What do I do if I decide to change my plans before I get my building permit?

You must submit the revised drawing(s) to the Building Division. There may be a fee associated with the submission.

What do I do if I decide to change my plans after I get my buildingpermit?

You must submit the revised drawing(s) to the Building Division prior to changing the construction from the plans on which the permit was issued. Any construction completed not in accordance with the permit drawings will result in orders being placed on the project. If you have a contractor doing the work, ensure the contractor submits revised drawings prior to commencing the change. There will be a fee associated with the revised submission.

Do I need a permit to demolish a building?

Yes you need a permit to demolish any building over 108 square feet or for any structure that has plumbing. If the structure is connected to municipal water and services, the property owner must call the Building Division to have the capping off of the services inspected. It is the responsibility of the property owner to have the utilities (i.e. Hydro, Gas) located prior to demolition. Once the site is clear of debris, another inspection is required to clear the permit. Any material must be disposed in an approved site.

Do I need a permit if I want to put in a new bathroom?

Yes, a permit is required for the installation of water, drain pipes and fixtures.

What if someone is constructing without a building permit?

If you are aware of construction occurring in Georgina without a required building permit, contact the Building Division and provide the following information:

  • the address of the alleged construction
  • details about the type of construction occurring without a permit
  • name and contact information of person you believe to be constructing without a permit, if this is available
  • your name and contact information so that we may follow up with you for further information if needed (Complainant information is held in confidence and will not be released as regulated by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

If you believe that there is a violation in your neighbourhood or near your business, please contact the Building Division:


Who do I see about installing a septic system or repairing an existing septic?

All septic designers and installers are licensed through the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. The Building Division in the Town of Georgina handles applications and issues permits for the installation or repair of septic systems.

Do I require a permit for landscaping?

Most types of landscaping, such as hedges, patio stones, etc., do not require permits. However, a site alteration permit may be required from the Development Engineering Division

Do I need a permit for doing electrical work?

For electrical permits and information, contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) at 1-877-372-7233. It is the regulatory body responsible for this type of work across Ontario.

Does my new home have a warranty?

Tarion, the private company that provides new home warranty protection for most new homes and condominiums built in Ontario by registered builders, licenses all home and condominium builders pursuant to the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act. This statute requires home builders to provide purchasers with warranty coverage that is guaranteed by Tarion. It also establishes minimum time standards for after-sales service, and adjudicates issues between homeowners and builders.


I am the property owner and I want to build my own home, will my home be protected by Tarion?

Property owners who act as their own general contractor (i.e. you are personally hiring each of the various construction trades) and intend to live in the home after construction, will not be covered by warranty under the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act.

If I am going to hire a designer for my project, how do I find out about their qualifications?

As the owner of the property, you are responsible for ensuring that you have hired qualified people. For more information regarding designer qualification and exemptions, please contact Ontario's Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH). Designer qualifications can be viewed through the MMAH or by accessing its online Public Search Registry.

Contact Us

26557 Civic Centre Rd,
Keswick, ON  L4P 3G1

T: 905-476-4301 / 705-437-2210
F: 905-476-8100

Hours of Operation

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.