The Town of Georgina is directing the majority of its future urban growth to Keswick. Within Keswick, a significant portion of the lands abutting the west side of Woodbine Avenue are designated Commercial/Employment Area. Increased sewer and water capacity and the extension of in-ground services would be needed for the full build-out.
The Town is proposing to develop a Business Park comprised of approximately 235 ha of land generally located on the east side of Woodbine Avenue, south of the Maskinonge River and west of the planned Highway 404 extension, with a potential to provide between 6,500 to 7,500 new jobs.
Major Proposed Development Areas
- Keswick - The majority of Georgina's existing designated employment land and urban development area is located within Keswick. The Keswick Secondary Plan designates an extensive area on the west side of Woodbine Avenue as Commercial/Employment Lands.
- Sutton - A substantial amount of residential development has commenced within the Sutton Area. Within the development areas, the availability of housing, retail and service commercial uses in close proximity will promote Sutton as a lifestyle destination. These development areas are to be serviced by municipal water and sewers.
Medium and large sized firms in Georgina include: Kesmac, Buchner Manufacturing Inc., Brouwer Wood Products, and J. C. Trailers.. The top private employers include:
- Zehrs Market - Supermarket, 175 employees
- Riverglen Haven Nursing Home - Nursing Care Facility, 160 employees
- The Briars Resort - Resort, 140 employees
- Weller Tree Service Ltd. - Landscaping Services, 117 employees
- Canadian Tire Corporation - Hardware, 103 employees
- Buchner Manufacturing - Alumina and Aluminum Production and Processing, 100 employees
- Cedarvale Lodge - Seniors Home, 100 employees
- Brouwer Kesmac - Agricultural Implement Manufacturing, 65 employees
- Krates Marina - Full Service Marina/Yacht Club, 50 employees
- JC Trailers - Heavy-Duty Truck Manufacturing, 45 employees