Anti-racism statement from Mayor Margaret Quirk and Karen McGill, Chair of Georgina’s Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee
Read the full:
Each Term of Office, the Town of Georgina Council invites community members to sit on the Georgina Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (GEDAC).
Terms of Reference:
The Georgina Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (GEDAC) consults with the Georgina community to provide information, advice and assistance to residents and visitors and to Town Council relating to the enhancement of community relations and promotion of equity.
The GEDAC consists of a maximum of 7 members including 1 member of Council, 1 representative from the York Regional Police Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Bureau, 1 representative from the Sandgate Women's Shelter of York Region, and 4 citizen appointments.
The length of term for a person appointed to GEDAC shall be for the Council Term of office.
The GEDAC works to:
- Promote mutual trust and respect among Georgina’s diverse community groups and the institutions and agencies that serve them.
- Provide advice on policy and practices relating to inclusiveness and community building to ensure that the contributions, interests and needs of all sectors of the Town of Georgina’s population are reflected in the Town’s operations and service delivery.
The GEDAC also, through its membership since 2009 in the Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination (CCMARD), shares experiences with other municipalities to improve their policies against racism, discrimination, exclusion and intolerance.
- Welcome Centre - Immigration and Citizenship Canada
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- The Ontario Human Rights Code
Current GEDAC Members
- Andrew Snowball, Chair
- Kyle Stipanic, Vice Chair
- Mayor Margaret Quirk
- Berenice Ruhl
- Alicia Lauzon, York Region Police Representative
- Lily Pouzand, Sandgate Representative
The GEDAC meets every month in the Civic Centre Council Chambers.
- GEDAC meetings are open to the public.
- Public input is welcome through a Request to Speak form or a Request for Presentation to the Committee
- The location is wheelchair accessible
- Meetings are conducted in accordance with the Town of Georgina's Procedural By-law
For assistance and information please contact the Committee Services Coordinator by email at email@example.com or telephone at 905-476-4301.
Agendas and Minutes