Site Alteration and Entrance Permit

Any alteration to the grade of land, including filing, dumping, extracting or moving soil, must be performed in compliance with Bylaw 2022-0038 (REG-1), as amended. This bylaw was enacted to prevent drainage issues within the Town and to protect groundwater and the environment from contamination.

Online application

If you plan to pursue any of the projects listed below, please fill out the online Application Form as well as the mandatory drawing submission checklist. Note that all drawings (and accompanying checklist) must be prepared by the Professional Engineer, Civil Engineering Technologist, or Ontario Land Surveyor as part of the Lot Grading Plan submittal package. 

When is an application Site Alteration and Entrance Permit required?

An application for Site Alteration and Entrance Permit is required for the following projects:

  • Construction of a new dwelling or accessory structure
  • Construction of an addition to an existing dwelling or accessory structure
  • Foundation repairs or replacement, or construction of a new foundation
  • Installation of an in-ground pool
  • Grading changes that affect drainage patterns
  • Installation or replacement of a septic system
  • The placement of fill material in excess of 20m3 for the purposes of landscaping or site alteration
  • The placement of fill material for the purpose of storage. Storage of fill materials shall not exceed 1,000m3
  • Installation or modification of an entrance 

Pursuant to Bylaw No. 2022-0038 (REG-1), the placement of more than 2,000 m3 of fill is not permitted within the Town.   


Installation of new entrances or modification to existing entrances must be in compliance with the Town's Entrance Bylaw 2023-0019 (PWO-2)

New entrances must be designed in accordance with the Town's Development Design Criteria: GR-9 for Rural Entrance and GR-8 for Urban Entrance

Drainage concerns

If you have concerns regarding drainage in your area, please fill out the online Drainage Concerns Form.

Building Permits

If you are unsure which permits you need, use our Building Permit Requirements tool to determine which permits to complete. For any further questions contact the Development Engineering division. 

Contact Us

26557 Civic Centre Rd,
Keswick, ON  L4P 3G1

T: 905-476-4301 / 705-437-2210
F: 905-476-8100

Hours of Operation

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.