Property owners should become familiar with the Town’s Site Alteration By-law to determine personal obligations and potential risks. Requirements for obtaining a Site Alteration Permit vary depending on the type of project being proposed.
Part 1, Section 25 of By-law No. 2011-0044 (REG-1) as amended by By-law No. 2014-0048 (REG-1) states:
"SITE ALTERATION’ means dumping of fill, the removal of topsoil from land, or the alteration of the existing grade of land by any means including placing fill, clearing and grubbing, the compaction of soil or the creation of impervious surfaces, or any combination of these activities”
Any alteration to the grade of land including filling, dumping, extracting, or moving soil must be performed in compliance with By-law 2011-0044 (REG-1), as amended by By-law No. 2014-0048 (REG-1). This By-law has been put in place to avoid any damage or other problems as a result of issues pertaining to drainage, and to ensure that ground water and the environment are protected from contamination.
Please note that the Site Alteration B-law No. 2011-0044 (REG-1) has been amended by By-law No. 2012-0040 (REG-1) and By-law No. 2014-0048 (REG-1). Copies of these by-laws are available under Forms and Other Information. Pursuant to By-law No. 2014-0048 (REG-1) the placement of more than 2000 cubic metres of fill on land within the Town is not permitted.
When is a Site Alteration Permit required?
Landowners looking to undertake any of the following projects will be required to obtain a Site Alteration Permit:
- Construction of a new dwelling or accessory structure
- Construction of an addition to an existing dwelling or accessory structure
- Foundation repairs or replacement, or construction of a new foundation
- Installation of an in-ground pool
- Grading changes that affect drainage patterns
- Installation or replacement of a septic system
- The placement of fill material in excess of 20m3 for the purposes of landscaping or site alteration
- The placement of fill material for the purpose of storage. Storage of fill materials shall not exceed 1000m3
*Fees and deposit amounts may vary depending on the type of site alteration project.