The Town is looking to fill positions at the poll for the upcoming 2022 Municipal Election during the advance voting days (Oct. 8, 13, 15 and 19) and on Election Day (Oct. 24). There are a number of opportunities at the poll, and this is your chance to get involved.
Working an election is an important civic engagement opportunity for you to participate in the democratic process and get involved in your community while supporting the Town in such an important undertaking.
You must be 16 years of age, entitled to work in Canada and fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work at one of the polls for the Town of Georgina Municipal Election.
How to apply
Application will be accepted until August 31, 2022. If you are interested, fill out an Election Employment Application (PDF) and return it to the Elections Team at email@example.com or in person to the Clerks Division at:
Town of Georgina
26557 Civic Centre Rd, RR 2
Keswick, ON L4P 3G1
Only successful applicants will be contacted for training later in the summer.
Training will take place in September or early October online or in person depending on the position/role you are assigned to work for the election. You will be contacted with specific details closer to that time.
- Supervision of the polling location.
- Ensures the conduct and integrity of the voting process is maintained.
- Contact person for the poll location in the event of any problems at the voting location.
- Main point of contact for candidates and/or scrutineers onsite – they will verify candidate identification, and Scrutineer forms.
- Responsible for the overall operation of the poll.
- Supervise and assist other Election Staff. Supervisor should have a general understanding of all positions at the poll and be able to step in to cover positions, as necessary, to allow for breaks, etc.
- Assist in managing the overall flow of electors throughout the poll, stepping in to assist with ‘bottle-necking’, etc.
- Responsible for the setting up, opening and closing of the voting location.
- Ensure that no campaign material for any candidate is displayed within the voting location or on the exterior of the property.
- Respond to electors’ issues/comments/concerns in a professional manner.
- Responsible for ensuring that the final Ballot Summary for each Deputy Returning Officer at your voting location is completed and accurate.
- Transport ballot box(es), and return election supplies to the Georgina Civic Centre at the close of polls.
Deputy Returning Officer (DRO)
- Maintain election supplies and forms in an orderly fashion.
- Maintains the integrity of the election process by being thoroughly familiar with the different types of ballots and how to determine the correct ballot for each voter, the function of Proxy Voting and the form and Voter eligibility requirements.
- Responsible for striking voters off the Voters’ list and for distributing the appropriate ballot to each elector. Maintains the voter’s list throughout the day by locating voter’s names using e-poll books.
- With the assistance of the Poll Supervisor, provide curbside voting opportunities to individuals requiring that accommodation.
- Assists in the setting up, opening and closing of the voting location.
- Responsible for picking up the vote tabulators and ballot box(es) from the Georgina Civic Centre and transporting them to the poll for election day.
- Ensure that the secrecy of the ballot and the elector are maintained.
- Be knowledgeable on the operation of the vote tabulators and assists electors where necessary.
- Responsible for setting up vote tabulator and ballot box inside the poll and ensure it is in proper working order prior to the opening of the poll.
- Responsible for operating, and troubleshooting the vote tabulator in accordance with their training, and training guide throughout the day.
- Receive completed ballots from voters and run them through the vote tabulator.
- Responsible for return of the vote tabulator and sealed ballot box(es) to the Georgina Civic Centre at the close of polls.
- Assists the Supervisor and other election officials with the set-up, opening and closing of the poll.
Revision Clerk (RC)
- Be familiar with the procedures to add/ correct information for qualified electors to the voter’s list.
- Assist electors with revision forms as needed and add/revise electors’ names on the Voter’s list.
- Assist the Supervisor and other election officials with set-up, opening, and closing of the poll.
- First point of contact for voters once inside the poll.
- Greets electors and directs them to the DRO or Revision Clerk.
- Will ensure any COVID protocols are followed at the poll.
- Responsible for disinfecting/cleaning as required.
- Helps electors with accessible needs as required (opening doors etc.).
- Assists the Poll Supervisor and other election officials with the set-up, opening and closing of the poll.