What is an accessory apartment?
What are the requirements?
A building permit is required for an accessory apartment, if the apartment was:
- Established after Nov. 16, 1995 and was not created legally
- Established before Nov. 16, 1995 and where remedial work is required as a result of a Fire Department inspection
- Fire separations between apartments and common spaces, such as exit corridors, laundry rooms and other spaces that are accessible by both apartments
- Exits from each apartment
- Interconnected smoke alarms in all bedrooms and all floors in each apartment
- Sufficient sizing of existing septic system (a house serviced by a septic system may not be allowed to have an accessory apartment unless the system can be confirmed to support the extra loads)
- Heating and ventilation upgrades are often required
A house that contains an accessory apartment must provide a minimum of three parking spaces as follows:
- 2 parking spaces must have direct access to a public street
- Only 1 parking space can be located within a garage
What do I need?
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish
- Schedule 1 - Designer Information
- 2 copies of the detailed site plan showing lot dimensions together with all buildings setbacks to lot lines and both garage and driveway dimensions
- 2 copies of the all floor plans drawn to scale with dimensions
- Letter of Authorization
signed by owner (if applicant is an agent)