The Building Division inspects construction, demolition and changes of use of buildings and private swimming pool enclosures that are regulated by the Pool Enclosure By-law. Inspectors also perform special investigations of unsafe buildings, illegal construction and changes of use. Notification by the owner and inspections by the Town are mandatory.
To request an inspection, use one of the following three options:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 905-476-4301 ext. 2283
The following information will be required when you submit your inspection request:
- Permit number
- Street address of construction
- Type of inspection required
- Contact name
- Contact phone number
Additional Inspection Fees
A fee of $129 is payable for re-inspection of a previously failed inspection due to defective or incomplete work.
Construction permits for new buildings and demolition permits of all buildings with plumbing, a deposit is collected prior to issuance. The deposit is returned only to the person identified on the receipt if the final inspection results in permit closure within 6 months of occupancy of new buildings or satisfactory completion of required inspections related to demolitions.
When do I need an inspection?
You will find the required inspections marked on the back of your permit placard that accompanied your issued permit. It is the permit holder’s responsibility to notify the Building Division when the work is ready for the appropriate inspection. Safe access must also be provided to the building that is to be inspected. The permit placard must be posted and all approved drawings must be on site for the inspector.
If your inspection request is received before 8 a.m, we will attempt to inspect the work the same day. However, sometimes inspection requests exceed our resources. Occasionally we need to reschedule to another day. If we find that we will not be able to attend, we will try to call the contact person.
The following are some stages of construction that require inspection by the Building Division.
- Before pouring concrete for footings/structural slabs/piers
- Foundations (before backfilling)
- Structural framing
- Insulation, vapour barriers and air barriers
- Readiness to occupy (prior to occupying)
- Fireplaces / wood stoves / chimneys
- Sewers, underground drains and water services before backfilling
- Water distribution piping
- Pressure tests of plumbing systems
- Heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems
- Fire safety systems such as fire separations, alarm systems, sprinklers and standpipe systems, emergency lighting, exit signage
- Commercial exhaust hoods and dust collection systems
- Septic system construction and repair
- Pool enclosures prior to filling the pool