Before you start work.
Submit your completed permit application, drawings and specifications to the Building Division though ourBuilding Permit Application Portal
- Review the issued permit drawings and construct in accordance with the Ontario Building Code and other regulations and by-laws,
Register your project with theMinistry of Labour
- the project cost is expected to exceed $50,000,
- erecting or structurally altering a building > 2 storeys or 7.5m high, or
- demolishing a building 4m high with a floor area >30m2
Contact theElectrical Safety Authority
for permits where you are constructing or altering electrical works
How do I apply online?
Things to note:
- Home printers will typically print on 8 ½” x 11” and 8 ½” x 14” paper.
- Printing centres in office supply stores can easily print on 11” x 17” paper at affordable costs.
- Larger drawings become more expensive and may take time for print centres to process.
- You will be required to print the issued ePermit document package and present it to the inspector during inspections so please carefully consider your printing resources.
For more information or questions about the needed documents please contact an application examiner from the Building Division at the Civic Centre at 905-476-4301 ext. 3007.
Most of the work listed below will require a permit prior to starting the work. Please contact the Building Division for more information.
- Construct a new building
- Additions, renovations, repair and alterations
- Change of use of a building
- Demolition of all or a portion of a building
- Make new openings for or change the size of doors and windows
- Construction of a detached shed more than 108 ft2 (10m2)
- Excavating a basement/underpinning of foundation walls
- Dampproofing foundation walls and installing weeping tiles
- Constructing a foundation
- Install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarm, sprinkler or stand pipe systems
- Install or modify plumbing and heating/air conditioning systems
- Install or modify fireplaces, woodstoves and chimneys
- Build a garage, carport, balcony or a Porch
- Install kitchen or bathroom cup boards with plumbing
- Construct a detached deck greater than 2ft (600mm) from ground to the walking surface of the deck
- Construction and repair of deck guard rails
- Finish a basement or convert a basement room to a bedroom
- Install a pool with a capacity to hold more than 600mm (2ft) of water
- Erect roof top solar panels and roof top generators
- Construction/material alteration of a sign
- Construct or repair a septic system
You do not need a building permit to:
- Build a utility shed under 108 sq ft (10m2). Note; the location, height, etc. is regulated by the Town's Zoning By-law.
- Construct a detached deck less than 2 ft (600mm) above grade in every point
- Replacement of existing plumbing fixtures, where plumbing is not being altered
- Temporary tents not more than 60 m2 in aggregate ground area, not attached to a building and minimum 3 metres from other structures
- Replace same size doors and windows
- Replace sidings with similar material
- Painting and decorations and minor maintenance
- Replace shingles on a roof providing no structural work
- Replace kitchen and bathroom cupboards without plumbing work
- Erect a boundary fence that is not used as a swimming pool enclosure. Note; the maximum height is regulated by the Town's Zoning By-law.
- Demolish a farm building
Your first step will be to find out the zoning provisions for your property.
How to Use the Zoning By-law (201.49 KB)
Approvals may also be required from other authorities such as:
Town of Georgina: site alteration, entrances, municipal connection, etc.
- York Region
: entrance permit (if access is from a Region road)
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Ministry of Transportation
- Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
- If there is a deposit fee owing, please mail or drop off a cheque, along with the invoice, to the Civic Centre.
The cheque must be payable to the "Town of Georgina" and note the permit application number on the front of the cheque.
- For building permits that carry no deposit fee, pay by credit card (up to $5,000) by calling Service Georgina at 905-476-4301 Ext. 3001. You must have your invoice and permit application number ready.
We are receiving a large volume of permit applications and inquiries, please allow five to 10 business days for response. Once your application is processed or we respond to your inquiry, our standard timeframes apply. The Zoning Examiner tries to review and respond to your application within five business days. The Plans Examiner tries to complete a building code review and respond within the mandatory times frames set out in the Ontario Building Code (OBC).
Mandatory OBC Review Timeframes (following zoning/applicable law review)
House - 10 business days
Small Buildings - 15 business days
Large Buildings - 20 business days
Complex Buildings - 30 business days