You may have just seconds to safely escape a fire in your home. Smoke alarms are your first line of defence in a fire. They give you an early warning there is a fire and extra time to escape.
You must have working smoke alarms on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas – it’s the law!
Smoke alarm tips
- Install smoke alarms on every storey of your home, including the basement.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when you install your smoke alarms.
- Follow the directions for testing and cleaning them.
- Install a new battery at least once a year, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Replace any smoke alarm that is more than 10 years old.
- Create a home escape plan with the entire household and practice it so everyone knows what to do when the smoke alarm sounds.