Barbecue Safety

Fire in a propane barbecue in summer


Fire and carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by the improper use of fuel-powered/heating appliances. Keep you and your family safe by:

  • BBQs, including gas, propane or charcoal, should only be used outside, away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings.
  • Never use BBQs inside garages, even if the garage doors are open. If used in an enclosed space (garage, house, shed), carbon monoxide (CO) – an odourless, colourless, poisonous gas – will gather and reach dangerous exposure levels, which can lead to serious health effects or even death.
  • Propane cylinders may not be used or stored inside any structure.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.
  • Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.

At the start of the BBQ season

Do this three-step safety check of your BBQ:

  1. Clean – Use a pipe cleaner or wire to ensure burner ports are free of rust, dirt, spider webs or other debris.
  2. Check – Examine the hose leading from the tank to the burners. Replace it if cracked or damaged.
  3. Test – Find leaks by applying a 50/50 solution of water and dish soap to propane cylinder connections and hoses. If bubbles appear, tighten the connection and/or replace the damaged parts and retest.

Contact Us

26557 Civic Centre Rd,
Keswick, ON  L4P 3G1

T: 905-476-4301 / 705-437-2210
F: 905-476-8100

Hours of Operation

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.