Mayor's anti-racism statement
Anti-racism statement from Mayor Margaret Quirk and Karen McGill, former Chair of Georgina’s Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee - read the full statement
Georgina Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee
Each Term of Office, the Town of Georgina Council invites community members to sit on the Georgina Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (GEDAC).
Agendas and Minutes
Visit the GEDAC Agendas and Minutes webpage.
Terms of Reference
The Georgina Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (GEDAC) consults with the Georgina community to provide information, advice and assistance to residents and visitors and to Town Council relating to the enhancement of community relations and promotion of equity.
The GEDAC consists of a maximum of seven members including one member of Council, one representative from the York Regional Police Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Bureau, one representative from the Sandgate Women's Shelter of York Region, and four citizen appointments.
The length of term for a person appointed to GEDAC shall be for the Council Term of office.
Current GEDAC members
Members for this committee are currently under review.
The GEDAC works to
- Promote mutual trust and respect among Georgina’s diverse community groups and the institutions and agencies that serve them.
- Provide advice on policy and practices relating to inclusiveness and community building to ensure that the contributions, interests and needs of all sectors of the Town of Georgina’s population are reflected in the Town’s operations and service delivery.
The GEDAC also, through its membership since 2009 in the Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination (CCMARD), shares experiences with other municipalities to improve their policies against racism, discrimination, exclusion and intolerance.
- Welcome Centre - Immigration and Citizenship Canada
- York Region - Just the Facts on Diversity
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- The Ontario Human Rights Code
- Diversity and Inclusivity policy
The GEDAC meets every month in the Civic Centre Council Chamber.
- GEDAC meetings are open to the public.
- Public input is welcome through a Request to Speak form or a Request for Presentation to the Committee
- The location is wheelchair accessible
- Meetings are conducted in accordance with the Town of Georgina's Procedure Bylaw
For assistance and information please contact the Committee Services Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 905-476-4301 ext. 2377.