If a fire occurred in your home tonight, would your family get out safely? Everyone must know what to do and where to go when the smoke alarm sounds. Working smoke alarms will alert you to a fire in your home but does everyone know what to do when the alarm goes off?
Take a few minutes with everyone in your family today and make a step by step home escape plan.
- Draw a floor plan of your home
- Include all possible emergency exits
- Show two ways out of every room, if possible
- Does anyone need help to escape?
- Choose a meeting place
- Call the fire department from outside your home
- PRACTICE your plan
If you live in an apartment building, contact the building management for information of your buildings fire safety plan.