On June 9, 2021, Council received a briefing note respecting the Keswick Secondary Plan Review Phase 3 Update. The briefing note explains what has taken place since Draft #1 of the Keswick Secondary Plan was released on Nov. 11, 2020 and includes a revised project work plan for the remaining tasks in Phase 3.
Draft # 1 of the Keswick Secondary Plan for Public Release and Comment:
Upcoming engagement opportunities:
Upcoming public engagement opportunities will be posted here once they have been scheduled.
Phase 2 public engagement opportunities include:
- The Town is currently requesting comments on Draft #1 of the Keswick Secondary Plan.
Information in relation to each engagement opportunity will be posted when available.
The Town of Georgina is reviewing and updating the Keswick Secondary Plan. Keswick is the largest urban community in the Town where the majority of future growth and development will be directed. The primary purpose of the secondary plan is to appropriately manage this future growth in a coordinated fashion which meets the needs of the community and its residents.
The review will include an exercise to assess and update the vision, goals and objectives, policies, and mapping of the plan. The review will look to support the creation of a range and mix of housing options, including mixed use, affordable and rental housing, strengthen the local economy and improve access to goods and services, encourage active transportation, and enhance public open space and the natural environment.
Information and updates will be posted to this webpage as they become available.
Public and Stakeholder Engagement Opportunities
The public consultation component of the Keswick Secondary Plan Review was put on hold because of the COVID-19 Pandemic and social distancing requirements. On July 15, staff reported to Council on resuming the Keswick Secondary Plan Review. The Briefing Note, which includes a revised Gantt Chart, outlines the next steps to be taken to resume with Phase 2 of the project.
The Town understands the importance of public and stakeholder engagement in the planning process and as such, encourages feedback and suggestions from anyone with a desire to participate. The input received throughout the process will ultimately result in a stronger, more effective secondary plan which captures the needs and interests of the community. There will be many opportunities for the public to provide input throughout the review process. Refer to the Community Stakeholder Engagement Plan which outlines the engagements opportunities to occur in each phase of the review.
Additionally, refer to "How can I stay informed and provide my comments?" in the FAQ section of this webpage to learn how you can provide your comments outside of formal engagement opportunities.
Reports to Council:
- Briefing Note - Phase 3 - Update
- DS-2020-0041 - Nov. 11, 2020 - Keswick Secondary Plan Review
- Briefing Note on Resuming the KSPR
- DS-2020-0001 - Jan. 15, 2020 - Phase 1 Status Update
- Briefing Note - June 26, 2019 - Consultant Selection
- DS-2019-0016 - March 6, 2019 - Keswick Secondary Plan Review and Steering Committee Formation
Background Information and Consultant Reports:
- Phase 2 Summary Report
- Handout to assist the public in providing comments
- Workshop # 3 Presentation (Dec. 3, 2020)
- Workshop # 3 recordings - 1:00 pm workshop and 6:30 pm workshop
- What We Heard Report 3 - Online Survey 2 Summary
- What we Heard Report 2 - Workshop 2 Summary
- Workshop # 2 Presentation (Jan. 18, 2020)
- Workshop # 1 Presentation (Oct. 30, 2019)
- Transportation Background Report
- What We Heard Report 1 - Phase 1 Public Consultation Summary
- Natural Environment Background Report
- Commercial and Employment Land Analysis
- Planning Review Report
- Work Plan Graphic - Dec 18, 2019
- Work Plan Gantt Chart - Dec 18, 2019
- Community and Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- Urban & Architectual Design Background Report
- Urban & Architectural Design Background Proposed TOC
Public Comments Received
- September 22, 2020 - Altus Group on behalf of Treasure Hill as it relates to a Peer Review (Report) of the Commercial & Employment Land Analysis prepared by urbanMetrics.
- July 27, 2020 - Anthony Usher Planning Consultant on behalf of North Gwillimbury Forest Alliance as it relates to development approvals exchange between DG Group's Maple Lake Estate Lands and their lands in south Keswick.
- July 16, 2020 - KLM Planning Partners on behalf of DG Group as it relates to the What We Heard Report #3 and their lands located in south Keswick on the east side of The Queensway South.
- June 12, 2020 - Robert Russell Planning Consultants Inc. on behalf of Rekha Nischal as it relates to the Mel's Lane property.
- April 2, 2020 - Altus Group on behalf of Treasure Hill as it relates to a Peer Review (Memorandum) of the Commercial & Employment Land Analysis prepared by urbanMetrics.
- January 21, 2020 - Faisal Rahman as it relates to 300 Metro Road North.
- April 4, 2019 - KLM Planning Partners on behalf of DG Group as it relates to their lands in south Keswick along Woodbine Avenue designated Commercial/Employment.
Keswick Secondary Plan Review Steering Committee
A steering committee has been established by the Town and its primary role is to provide leadership, direction and feedback throughout the review. The Keswick Secondary Plan Review Steering Committee is comprised of Mayor Margaret Quirk, Ward 1 Councillor Mike Waddington, Ward 2 Councillor Dan Fellini and four volunteer members from the community. The Chair of the steering committee is John Rogers and the Vice Chair is Naomi Davison.
Meeting agendas, minutes, and committee information can be found on the Keswick Secondary Plan Review Steering Committee webpage.
Technical Advisory Committee
A technical advisory committee has also been established by the Town in order to provide technical expertise on the review. The technical advisory committee includes representation from Town departments, York Region and the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority.
A list of members, meeting agendas and meeting notes, can be read below:
|TAC Meetings||Meeting Agenda||Meeting Notes|
TAC meeting #1
TAC meeting #2
TAC meeting #3
TAC meeting #4
Every municipality has an official plan that provides an overall vision, goals, and objectives to guide future growth and development of the municipality. A secondary plan forms part of the official plan and is intended to provide more detailed direction and land use policies for a specific area within the official plan. Secondary plans include specific land use designations, policies, and mapping which promote a high quality of life for present and future residents. Any development occuring on lands within the secondary plan area is required to comply with the plan.
The Planning Act requires that municpalities review and update official plans and secondary plans on a regular basis to ensure that they comply with the Provincial Policy Statement and provincial plans.
Since the current Keswick Secondary Plan came into effect in October 2004, the community has seen a significant amount of growth and change. With this, many social, economic and environmental factors that affect how we plan our communities have evolved. Additionally, the land use planning system in Ontario has dramatically changed with the implementation of several key provincial planning policy documents which effect land use and development within Keswick.
The purpose of the review is to:
- Update the plan to reflect changes to provincial and regional planning policy documents
- To appropriately plan for the future growth and development of a community where residents can live, work and play
At this preliminary stage, the Keswick Secondary Plan Review will be considering topics such as:
- How/where to accommodate new residents and commercial/employment development
- How to protect greenspace and sensitive natural areas
- How to encourage a shift toward more sustainable transportation modes rather than driving alone
- The balance between intensification in existing communities and new communities in currently unbuilt areas
- How to provide a greater range of housing options, including affordable and rental housing
- Appropriate density targets and building types
- Update of urban design guidelines and creation of architectural design guidelines.
However, as the project progresses additional topics may also be considered throughout the review.
The review will take approximately 1 year, to be completed by Fall of 2020. The review will be completed in three phases. We are currently in Phase 2 of 3. Below is a summary of the three phases:
- Phase 1: Background Research and Analysis - Involves compilation of background information to understand existing conditions and opportunities for change, as well as the preparation of planning principles and a vision to guide the review.
- Phase 2: Concept Development - Involves the identification of issues, preparation of options, evaluation of the options, and selection of a preferred concept.
- Phase 3: Drafting of the Plan - Involves the preparation of the draft secondary plan policies and mapping and approval of a final plan.
The review will be overseen by the Town of Georgina Planning Division, and in particular the Senior Policy Planner.
The Town has retained the services of The Planning Partnership to act as the lead consultant for the review. The Planning Partnership will be responsible for policy planning, growth management, consultation and communications, urban and architectural design, GIS mapping, and project management services.
The Planning Partnership will be supported by a sub-consulting team which includes:
- urbanMetrics, a real estate strategy firm, who will provide their expertise on commercial and employment land analysis, as well as act as an advisor with respect to addressing affordable housing;
- BA Group, a transportation consulting firm, who will undertake all transportation-related work, in particular addressing transportation demand management strategies; and,
- Plan B Natural Heritage, an evironmental consulting firm, who will complete the required environmental policy and mapping review/update.
The Keswick Secondary Plan Review is being overseen by a Steering Committee and a Technical Advisory Committee. See above for more information about both Committees.
Updates and information related to the review will be posted on this webpage.
Notices of upcoming public engagement events will also be advertised in the Georgina Advocate and through the Town of Georgina's social media accounts.
To be put on a project mailing list or to share your thoughts and comments, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To speak with someone at the Town regarding this project, contact:
Tolek Makarewicz, MCIP, RPP
Senior Policy Planner
Development Services Department
Town of Georgina
905-476-4301 ext. 2297